Ask The Question Campaign
– To improve services delivery and intake data accuracy for identified Military Service Members, Veterans, and Families (SMVF) in community agencies.
– ASK “Have you or a family member ever served in the Military?”
- Question should be posed at all entry points for services.
– LINK SMVF with a provider in your agency that has been trained in military cultural competency for needed services.
- Direct Services Providers should assess for a connection between military service and service/support needs.
– COLLABORATE with military/veteran specific resources to meet all service needs of SMVF (Virginia Department of Veterans Services, Veterans Health Administration Facilities; Military Treatment Facilities etc.)
MILITARY CULTURAL COMPETENCE (MCC) – when civilian service providers have an understanding of military culture to include organizational structure, rank, branches of service, core values, and demographics and enhanced ability to communicate and effectively interact with Military Service Members, Veterans, and their families.
Voluntary MCC TRAINING RECOMMENDATION – The Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services and Virginia Department of Veterans Services recommends that community agencies train staff in introductory military cultural competency to increase the number of Military Service Members, Veterans, and Families (SMVF) identified in community settings and to enhance service delivery and resource connections for this priority population.
To learn more about free MCC training resources, please contact Brandi Jancaitis at the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services